Saturday, May 7, 2011

RIP Mike.

Yesterday, my ex step dad passed away. If it wasnt the lung cancer, it couldve been complications from a stroke or a heart attack, all within the past 4 months. Everyone is asking me if I am ok. I am, but naturally there is a sadness.

We havent been extremely close, keep in mind he is my EX step dad. My mom and him split up about 4 years ago. Before that, we had our moments of up and down as to be expected. He started dating my mom at a very important time in my life. Who else is brave enough to start dating a woman with a tempermental teenage girl?

I always said I would NEVER call anybody else dad. I was at a point in my life where I was resentful towards my own dad. It took him a while, but I felt comfortable enough with him that I did start calling him dad. He was so happy. And he became the protective dad. Any boy wanted to talk to me had better deal with him. We all know this story. Eventually, amongst his own problems, we started to fall apart as I got older. I was tired of working to support thier bad habits. I left. Anything left was there for mom and him to handle. I didnt want anything to do with them for a while. I was growing up, growing irritated with thier lifestyle but it wasnt my problem. So we drifted apart.

The last time I saw him was last year. I was meaning to go see him in the hospital after his stroke. This past week actually, but I was sick and shouldnt be there. I didnt get the chance to see him but I also didnt want to have that image of him as my last. I know he is in a better place and no longer suffering. It makes me want to hug my daughter and other family and friends just a little tighter. Makes me want to say I love you and show my appreciation for people more often, before I lose my chance.

1 comment:

  1. I had written a long comment a few seconds ago and then it erased on me(O my goodness! ;( anyhow I am really tired and will post a new comment here later on I am coming down with qa slight head ache. By hte way i asked to be a twitter friend with you and I do live in Sacramento, I am deeply sorry reading about your father and that's what I was writing to you about earlier than Wham! it erased on me, I was being a little dum dum here, so sorry for the mishap. I had alot to tell you about Fathers(step fathers) passing away and I can relate to you and how you feel.
    If you like to stay in touch and get acquainted as friends please don't hesitate and write back to me at brent31710@gmail.com or reach me at hac_E_sac on Twitter tweeter...let's get to know each other as networking friends if you wouldn't mind.
    Anywho wish me luck on sending this to you, you take good care of yourself.
    Sincerely B.E.Brent
    brent31710@gmail.com or bill_brent@att.net are the 2 main spots on where you can reach me as well as twitter @@@@\8^p. <--Marge Simpson Drooling

    ReplyDelete